49 states in the US have enacted bullying laws, still, Bullying statistics in 2010 suggest that bullying remains a growing problem nationwide. The alarming facts about bullying revealed:
- 1 of every 7 students from kinder garden to Grade 12 has been a bully or has been bullied.
- 61% of students who were interviewed stated that bullying can resort to students shooting other children.
- More than 56% of students had already witnessed bullying that happened while they were in school.
- 71% of students reported that bullying is an on-going problem.
- 1 in every 20 students has seen a student carrying a gun while in school premises.
- Top years for bullying are from 4th-8th Grades.
- 54% of students who witness violence and physical abuse at home can become bullies in schools.
- Each month, a shocking number of around 282,000 students are being victimized by bullying in the US.
- 90% of victims admitted that they suffered negative side effects. Among them are:
◦ Significant drop in grades
◦ Increase in anxiety
◦ Loss of friends
◦ Loss of social life
School bullying statistics:
- 77% of students are being bullied whether physically, mentally, or verbally.
- 70% of high school and middle school students have already experienced and witnessed bullying in school.
- 27% of students have been victimized by school bullying because they are not sexually active.
- 23% of students who are in Grade 9 already carry a gun.
In the wake of this growing epidemic, how are parents supposed to keep their children safe from bullies? Some are taking the law into their own hands. I’ve now featured a number of cases where parents go on the offensive to protect their children. They find themselves in hot water with the law but, nonetheless, justify their actions citing the lack of response to their complaints from the schools. While I don’t condone vigilante justice, I do appreciate the frustrations of the parents. Click below for tips on what experts say is the best way to handle school bullies:
EMPOWER YOURSELF WITH KNOWLEDGE
BUT WHAT IF THE SCHOOL IS UNRESPONSIVE?
- Recent Federal Court Decision on Bullying in NYC Schools extols “American Character”: establishes new procedures for reporting all incidents of bullying. (prweb.com)